Sublime Forum

Build 3103 - US International Keyboard Layout woes

Build 3103 came onto me like a wrecking ball. Well, maybe not so much, but it pretty much rendered the editor useless with the key bindings issues it presented.

Pretty much, all key bindings using the ALT key seem to be affected. I am, needless to say, reverting to build 3083 which was working like a charm for me for my current work. I would of course, like to see this addressed because this is very bothersome.

I am quoting a reply post I made to a very, very old thread here mentioning this very same issue on ST2.

To save you the extra browsing around, here is the gist of it:

Hitting the keyboard binding CTRL+Left ALT+P doesn’t give me the quick project switcher, prints an “ö” character on the editor. This is using left ALT.

Normally the Right ALT key is the one used as a secondary type of shift key to get extra symbols such as á, é, í, ó, ú and also among them is this ö that I am getting when using this binding after the upgrade.

It would be worthy of note that in Sublime Text, posibly due to how key bindings work, is the only software I get this issue. The left CTRL and ALT keys when pressed together work as if I had pressed the Right ALT key, effectively triggering the US International additional glyphs and getting all kinds of different glyphs printed out onto the document instead of following through with the expected key bound behavior. The quick project switcher with its key binding of CTRL+ALT+P is only an example, but this is happening as well on other bindings that use the CTRL+ALT keys in addition to any key that would trigger a US International glyph (A, E, I, O, U, P, U, Q, T, C, S, D… and others.)

This topic was mainly created to not bump that old topic as that one was several years old, affecting a totally different build of Sublime Text, (ST2 even!) and this is an issue affecting the very latest build released on February 9, 2016.

0 Likes

The ctrl+alt+p key binding was removed for Windows users due to conflicts with international keyboards. You can bind it back if you want.

Just so I can investigate, what other key bindings were affected?

0 Likes

Btw, in Windows ‘right alt’ always triggers ‘ctrl+alt’

0 Likes

This is new to me. Never noticed that behavior… except in Sublime Text, unless this is what you meant?

0 Likes

Ah! Idiot me did not check the change-log thoroughly. This is truly due to the keybinding being removed.

I re-checked my bindings and I couldn’t reproduce the errors I was getting before except for the “ö” character that shows due to the keybinding removal…

sigh Sorry for wasting your time and a few database bytes…

0 Likes

0 Likes

I’ll be damned… never noticed this until now… well that tip on this link does help out… I will try the auto hot key utility, it should do the trick.

Thanks for the hint!

0 Likes