Sublime Forum

[BUG] Sublime won’t start with added_words[] in preferences

I set up spellcheck support on my desktop, and added some words, that weren’t in the dictionary. When I synchronized the Packages/User/Preferences.sublime-settings on my laptop, subl3 wouldn’t start. No output in the terminal, no logs, if they even exist. By the way, I was disappointed by the lack of a man page or a key to enable debug output without which it was impossible to understand what the problem is. Thanks to the issue being new, after rolling back the files I quickly figured out what it was.

I know, that I don’t need to synchronize all the packages by myself, so I only used to update

• Preferences.sublime-settings;
  • Package Control.sublime-settings;
  • and Default (Linux).sublime-keymap.

Sublime did update the packages, but something went wrong. Only after I deleted added_words[] section from the Preferences, it began working again.

Steps to reproduce:

• install some dictionary, for example from the Dictionaries package, set ‘spell_check’ to ‘true’ and ‘dictionary’ to a path to a dictionary file relative to the Sublime config directory;
  • let your cat walk over your keyboard;
  • add the words highlighted in red to the dictionary via the menu that pops when you click RMB;
  • your user preferences file should be updated, copy it to another instance of Sublime;
  • see it not starting.

Sublime 3114 on GNU/Linux x86_64.

0 Likes