Sublime Forum

Browse packages - no window appears

Hello,
I have Debian 8 x64 with KDE
in both sublimetext 2, 3 when I want to install greensock snippet I go to menu ‘Preferences->Browse Packages’ , but no window appears…nothing going on
how I can please install (plugins, snippets,etc) ?

thank You for any help

Regards ZAJDAN

0 Likes

I have exactly the same issue, on a fresh install of Debian 8 with KDE, and the “Ubuntu 64 bit” build 3103 deb from the downloads page, “Browse Packages” does nothing.

Is there any response to this problem? Eight months pass since the OP and no answer?

The only reason I need this is that it appears to be the only menu-driven way (while keeping Monokai Bright colour scheme) into editing the default theme so as to remedy the hard-to-see scrollbar.

0 Likes

related: [Solved] Browse packages error on Linux while using ver 3103 -

what is the output from running xdg-mime query default inode/directory in the terminal, please?

1 Like

I had already read that and it is not related. The result is dolphin.desktop, as expected.

0 Likes

Okay, so run an strace and see what is happening - maybe run the output through grep '^open' ./path/to/strace_output

0 Likes

Here you are:

user@test:~/projects$ strace -p20356 2>&1 | grep open
open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 76
open("/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/libappmenu.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

EDIT of this comment because the system limits me to three replies:

The menu option is Preferences, Browse Packages. Yes, I did that.

I’m not sure what you mean by not trying to open the folder. It says that libappmenu.so doesn’t exist.

I searched my system and that file is not present anywhere.

A bit of research reveals the following:

“libappmenu.so” is in the (standard Debian repo) package “appmenu-qt” which is a part of Plasma 5. But Debian 8.3 (Jessie) runs Plasma 4. Plasma 5 is due in the unstable version of Debian (Stretch) scheduled for release a year from now. Getting appmenu-qt (let alone Plasma 5) working on my system would involve too much customization with an uncertain chance of success, as well as the usual trying this and that and hanging around on forums. All for something that I expected to work out of the box (and which keeps nagging me for payment).

So I won’t be installing appmenu-qt (actually I did, and it didn’t help, so i uninstalled it).

I note that Ubuntu introduced Plasma 5 some time after their Utopic version. If I go to https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/sublime-text-3?field.series_filter=utopic I see that a Utopic compatible version of Sublime 3 is at build 3083 (click on the “published in” button and then the “filter” button).

So does this mean that in order to get the browse packages function working, I must uninstall build 3103 and install 3083? Because if I have to do that then I might just edit the scrollbar in a graphics editor and fix my visibility problem that way. But it is very inelegant for such a highly praised package as Sublime.

EDIT1: Just so we’re on the same page, my understanding from this topic - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18746993/how-do-i-edit-the-solarized-light-theme-in-sublime-text-3 - graphic at the bottom of the comments - is that Preferences, Browse Packages is the way into editing theme packages.

EDIT2: For anyone who’s interested, here is how to edit the theme files such as the scrollbar:

1. In Preferences, PackageControl, install PackageResourceViewer (of course this implies that you have previously installed PackageControl). Close and reopen sublime.

2. In the command palette (ctrl-shift-p) type/select “PackageResourceViewer: ExtractPackage” and select “Theme - Default”. This will copy out a built-in set of files to its own directory containing actual files within ~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/. This new directory of files will override the built-in settings.

3. Go into ~/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages/Theme- Default/ and open this file in Gimp: normal_thumb_vertical.png and change it to make it easier to see against the background.

4. Do the same for normal_thumb_horizontal.png.

EDIT3: The tl;dr is that Sublime is slightly incompatible with Debian, due to the devs assuming that Linux is Ubuntu, but it can easily be hacked to make it usable.

0 Likes

doesn’t even look like it tries to open the folder… you did remember to go Tools -> Browse Packages while the trace was running, right? how about right clicking in a document and choosing Open Containing Folder from the context menu?

0 Likes