Sublime Forum

Binary File Reading Plugin

What? I very much disagree.

I’ve used many hex editors and this not true, and some are configurable, and I like those. If you are adamant on limiting yourself to 16 bytes on every line, feel free to configure yours to be that way.

I am more comfortable with it going up by what ever it is configured to go up by.

But…then why the suggestions?

0 Likes

I want it to get better even if i’m not using it, for other people

0 Likes

if all these options are configurable than that is ok
and yes, i have seen lots of hex programs, they work byte by byte because the bytes shouldn’t be connected, they have nothing to do with each other other than being in the same file

0 Likes

Well, there is a whole documentation site for the plugin in case you need to know what it does.

I…seriously? They have nothing to do with each other. Not even a little? Like they couldn’t be part of a 32bit value maybe?

As an engineer that works with lots of binary files and register dumps, being able to group bytes into logical units is very useful for me. I’m sorry that my approach is not satisfactory, but I find it quite practical. I appreciate your input, but I think we will continue in the direction of allowing bytes to commingle. And if byte mingling is found to be undesirable, the user can configure them to be segregated.

0 Likes

I will at least clarify this, HexViewer does not restrict display to two bytes in a group, that is just a screenshot. You can configure it to do whatever you want it to do. What I am against is the idea that you shouldn’t group bytes, it is possible that wasn’t clear. Group them by 2s or 4s or none at all. Who am I to dictate your byte viewing? I personally change them depending on the data I’m looking at.

They say a pictures worth a thousand words, but in this case, reading the documentation speaks a bit more than the screenshot. Byte groups is 100% configurable.

0 Likes

i already got that

0 Likes

@GideonMax, Don’t take my banter too seriously. I often come off more grouchy than I actually am. I’ve been told I need to insert more smilies to convey lightness. But sometimes I am grouchy…so there’s that too…

0 Likes

well
i hope this ends up great
maybe i’ll switch one day

0 Likes

Keep in mind that HexViewer can also open files in an external hex editor. It is understood that sometimes nothing can replace a good old fashion dedicated hex editor. The internal hex viewing is mainly for quickly viewing smaller hex files. Though some crude inline editing functionality is included, serious editing is left up to dedicated editors.

0 Likes