Sublime Forum

Author's thoughts on Open Source

You can already contribute to ST. You can enhance the documentation, write Plugins or enhance available Plugins.

And if you’re good with that than you can maybe do more.

1 Like

Ya that is not open source.Open source is open source, and I am not here to sell you on the benefits of it. If you don’t get it that is fine…

Go look at the release cycle of Atom and VS Code. Sublime is dead in the water…because it is a closed source one man show…

0 Likes

Making something open source doesn’t spontaneously produce a community of active, capable developers willing to donate their time and effort to working on it.

If Atom/VS Code/etc. has the features you need right now, like RTL language support, or if you just want to use open-source software, swallow the performance hit and switch to one of them. Sublime isn’t getting nightly code pushes, but it’s also a stable and mature piece of software. Is there something you badly need that Sublime is lacking, and which can’t be implemented as a plugin?

4 Likes

Besides the fact that it’s not true, and that Sublime isn’t dead in the water, it’s also not the reason. Atom and VS Code are moving fast because GitHub and Microsoft respectively are putting millions into them to keep a 6+ team afloat.

Use the search function. It has been explained many times already that open sourcing something does not make it better or move faster automatically. Or with effort. Or at all.

3 Likes

Shut up!!! You can move to Atom and VS Code and nobody will stop you. Don’t complain here. This place is used to improve sublime text. Open source and improving it are not identical and probably, open source may damage it.
Please move to the other two. Please!!

0 Likes

No one said it does. But yearly releases are is not moving at all…

Sublime text is not feature complete, the macro system has LOTS of work to go…but the work isn’t happening.

Sublime Text is an amazing phenomena and massively influential editor! But it will be a sad day when it gets overthrown by inferior tech.

Mark my words…you can hate all you want, but the writing is on the wall. And why would I want to move to Atom or VS code, I came here saying they are inferior.

0 Likes

FYI, there have been 15 releases in 2017 so far, even though developer builds are limited to paying users

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a more fully featured macro system. It’s basically a design choice that it works as it does.

If you want new features more often, get on the dev channel. It’s stable and there have been plenty new toys this year already.

If you want a particular feature and you can’t get it via a plugin, that’s tough but a tantrum isn’t going to help. There is choice in the marketplace, you get to weigh your options. Perhaps you need to trade performance for macros, or something else. It’s not like any other editor out there is feature complete for everyone.

0 Likes

Macros are basically a legacy system. The plugin API does everything that macros can, plus immeasurably more that macro’s can’t.

1 Like