Sublime Forum

ARM build?

Really need Sublime Text for arm devices!

1 Like

Good to know Ken. I was planning on using Raspbian to be my IDE for development for my other PI’s. Using Sublime text because of the light weightiness compared to an Eclipse, or Intellij.

Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

0 Likes

Yup just quad Pi and Beaglebone would be nice. Orange PI would be a dream too.

0 Likes

Please, Orange Pi/ Quad Pi / A20 (cubieboard, banana) / Orange Pi, soooooooooo missing Sub on ARM. Ramp up the price, wgaf!

0 Likes

I’d like to change my opinion.
I’ve got some ARM devices here. Like different Pi’s,etc. and need Sublime desperately for embedded dev as this device switching is really annoying. I love Vi/Vim on the command line but for whole projects this is annoying, too. And I’m too lazy for cross compilation while setting up a whole new fresh product with a lot of testing. Most of the dev is done on board atm.

1 Like

+1 for ARM for Raspberry.

0 Likes

+1 for ARM for my chromebook medion s2015… with chrouton (chroot debian jessie), xfce and soon google play store it is the perfect portable machine for some development and scripting… would love to use sublime instead of pluma :slight_smile:

0 Likes

+1 for ARM

Im a crossplatform developer, so use sublime on macOS/Windows and Linux, and love it…
I really miss it when I jump over to PI and other SOC platforms to do some dev.

Id be willing to pay extra for it, or back a kickstarter project.

0 Likes

+1 for ARM for Raspberry

0 Likes

+1 for ARM build

I have to develop software for Raspberry Pi and I miss my favorite editor.

0 Likes

what we need is to clone 2 or 3 of you first :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Sublime for Raspberry Pi would be very cool, but honestly I don’t get where’s the problem. I’m using Sublime right now to write code on my RPi: Sublime runs on my laptop, and it saves the source files on the RPi through the SFTP plugin. I could also use sshfs, NFS or even samba. To run the compiler I can set the project to execute it using ssh, or I can run it on the RPi using a simple terminal.

Just my 2c.

1 Like

One can also use a cross-compiler to compile on the host X86 machine to an ARM architecture. This is the sane choice when you don’t want your builds to take hours. There are various docker images available to make this process easier.

0 Likes

Adding my support for an ARM build. I’ve been looking at the new Pinebook, but due to its architecture, it wouldn’t be able to run Sublime. I’m really hoping news on this changes before they get more Pinebook Pros in stock.

0 Likes

It would be awesome to have an ARM build of Sublime to be able to run it on a Raspberry Pi.

0 Likes

Yet another long-time, licensed ST user here :grinning:

It’s been almost 8 years since this was first requested. ARM computers are getting more and more common. The recently-released Raspberry Pi 4 is considered a full desktop replacement (and in fact it’s currently my only computer after years of using ST on both Macs and Linux machines :laughing:)

As many others have said above, I’d be willing to back a kickstarter project or pay for an additional license to help fund the necessary work.

Can this feature request get considered again? :grin:

0 Likes

Just got a Pinebook Pro. Absolutely love it. Really hoping you will consider an ARM build that would be compatible.

0 Likes

Same here.

Looking forward to an ARM build to use on my brand new Pinebook Pro.

0 Likes

Using a Surface Pro X here, would really love an ARM build. Holding off on buying a license until one releases.

0 Likes

Bumping the arm64/aarch64 build request.

Many of the problems with fragmentation in the 32-bit arm world have been solved with the 64-bit ports. Given a standard arm machine, running a uefi firmware, these machines are capable of acting like normal PCs and installing a wide variety of OS’s which in turn provide the same developer experience as one gets with x86 machines. Mostly gone are the requirements to hack build processes/etc as these machines are now available as cloud instances at AWS/Packet/etc capable of CI loops/etc rather than one-off hacked raspbian/whatever builds. Put another way, Arm has been working hard to create a consistent and functional ecosystem so that small developers don’t have to.

http://www.worksonarm.com is a good place to start if your looking for developer support (although its oriented towards open source, the people behind it are willing to help port anything).

(Just be warned that many of the small SBC’s aren’t yet SBSA/SBBR complaint so they have many of the traditional arm problems (AKA I don’t imagine a software company like sublime wants to build their own firmware in order to develop their products)).

0 Likes