Sublime Forum

An idea on side bar

Since most of us use sidebar by mouse, does it great to open and hide sidebar with a button hovered above line number like the pictrue below?(I see it doesn’t mesure up ST style.)

2 Likes

Guess what! This package exists!

I don’t think it has been released on package control though.

Here is the original package: https://github.com/Skullsneeze/SidebarHoverToggle

here’s my fork: it hides the side bar only if it has been shown by hovering the gutter (the line numbers): https://github.com/math2001/SidebarHoverToggle

matt

0 Likes

I would prefer a button, instead hovering. I prefer the hovering for the GitGlutter plugin show the git diff.

0 Likes

GitGutter’s approach is problematic in my opinion (even though it is cool). If other plugins try to do something similar they will all be fighting to show their own popup since only one popup can be shown at a time. The hover approach without popup for sidebar toggle is probably better for something like this.

Ideally if popups on gutter hover were to be used for multiple plugins, it would probably be better if one plugin handled the popup for other plugins – like a gutter context menu plugin. Kind of like how many plugins can add entries to the right click context menu. I guess a common API would have to be developed, but you get the idea.

Edit: I would even extend this thought to on hover popups in general, and I use on hover popups in BracketHighlighter. They are a little safer in a view as context can be important to whether they show, but I’ve thought about at the very least adding a setting to disable the the hover option and allowing them to still be activated by keybinding just in case it becomes a problem in the future.

2 Likes

I would hate my side bar popping up and out by my mouse hovering, but I agree with an API for the plugin to perform the hovering. Currently you must to choose one and only one plugin to apply for this position.

When I said about a button, I forgot about the toolbar feature request:

1. #1373 Toolbar for Sublime Text is coming?
  2. #656 Context menu for the gutter

You may vote them up:

0 Likes