Sublime Forum

Accidentally opening project/site twice

I notice that there are a few threads about this from 2013. It still seems to be an issue. If you have a project already open but you don’t realise and open it again, you get two ST windows for the same project. If you make changes in one window, they are reflected in the other window, so if you save all on the changes you made to the second window, and close it, you now discover the first window and want to close it and it’s not so easy as you either have to choose to not save every file, or click ignore several times, or reload. I tried a few things but there wasn’t a one click solution.

I regularly work on 3 sites and find it gets confusing as to what sites are open in ST as if I right cick on the ST icon on Mac OS, it shows the projects open at the bottom in the format file name displayed in ST and the project name - I don’t care what the file currently displayed is, I just want to more easily see the name of the project/site, as whatever html file is open you still have to click on it to select the project. Above that it shows the names of files in separate windows that are open and I often get a long list of files here, and I’m not sure why they are opening in separate windows and how they got there. Maybe it was find and replace. Or something else.

What I’m trying to say is that what should be just an easy list of just the projects open without any html files in the name is not really what I get, and seems counterintuitive and as a result it’s easy to get confused and open multiple instances of projects creating more of a mess.

0 Likes

How are you opening your projects? Are you using Sublime Text’s built-in project management? If so then it should be impossible to open the same project twice.

2 Likes

I was just opening the folder. I will get into the habit of opening it as a project instead and see if it helps. Cheers.

0 Likes

Part of the problem for me was having a list of recently opened files in the dock icon list, which was confusing me constantly, I couldn’t tell what was open and what wasn’t. I took me 10 minutes to figure out it was recently opened files. The 'file/open recent/clear all function didn’t do anything. So I removed the recently closed items list using this guide:

0 Likes