Sublime Forum

What happens to ST2?

Hello,

Being somewhat old school, I believe in the old adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I remember when Microsoft Word was a nice little word processor but it has become a behemoth with so many features that no one can possibly use more than a fraction of them.

ST3 has many new and improved features, some of which I am sure I would like (ie. faster loading, better HTML tagging). The list of new/improved features represents a boat load of work, and I don’t want to diminish that, but none of the new features seem to change my daily grind much at all. Or at least they won’t change it enough to warrant upgrading.

I like ST2 the way it is. My hope is that ST2 will remain available for download after ST3 is released. My main dev machine is not being moved past SnowLeopard so I am stuck with ST2. I say “stuck” but please understand that I am happy being stuck with ST2.

Why am I still on SnowLeopard? It ain’t broke.

Does anyone know Jon’s plan for ST2?

Thanks a bunch
brad

0 Likes

0 Likes

Perhaps I am dense, but that thread does not seem to answer my question. That thread seems to deal with the lack of updates to ST2 and how it affects certain users.

I have never had ST2 crash on me and I use it on both Mac and Win7.

My original post was asking if ST2 will remain available after ST3 is released officially. I have been unable to locate any information as to the fate of ST2.

As far as updates for ST2 goes, even if Jon put one out I would not upgrade until I was forced to. ST2 does everything I need and has never crashed on me. What more can I ask for? New features I’d likely never use? Nah. :wink:

0 Likes

If you have no intention of ever using another version of Sublime Text then why do you want it to still be available? Just save the install file on a USB and you have it. Better yet get the portable version. To answer your question though I would say yes. You can still get ST1

0 Likes

I have multiple backups of the install file for each platform I use. I did notice that when I start ST2 it checks the mothership for an update. I don’t know if Jon has set a date in code where ST2 will be “turned off” so to speak. I doubt this is the case though since he stated on the ST2 download page that 2.0.2 removes the “expiry date”. I don’t know if that is Australian for “expiration date” or not. :smiley:

I have a valid license for ST2 though so maybe that makes this a non-issue.

Since you say we can still get ST1 I guess my fears are unfounded.

Thanks for the response.

brad

0 Likes

The expiration is for non registered users only so you should be fine. If you want to prevent the pop up (if you haven’t already)

0 Likes