Sublime Forum

UI Refresh

The UI refresh that was deployed today is pretty horrible, how do I get the old one back?

2 Likes

Unfortunately we don’t have an updated version of all of the old assets that support the new features and high DPI across all platforms. You may be able to find a third-party package that has the old default theme.

1 Like

I don’t really see what was wrong with the old tabs? They gave Sublime Text its own vibe, which set it apart from everything else. You’ve managed to take that away and make it look like every other Windows program out there. I’m sure the ‘flat’ tabs look at home in Windows 8 and Windows 10, but it looks completely out of place on Windows 7 I’m assuming they’ll look equally out of place on various Linux themes as well.

Please address this in a future update. If it’s something that I can change or customize, please provide very specific and repeatable steps to perform, and put that info in a place that other customers can see.

Give your paying customers the opportunity to choose which style to use. This wasn’t what I purchased.

0 Likes

Very colorful tabs!

We don’t have any plans to move backwards, no. The old default theme was appropriate for the design of operating systems released 8-10 years ago, but looks pretty out of place on any modern OS. Additionally, we don’t have high dpi assets (or vector sources) for the old theme, so it won’t ever be possible to provide the same support we have now.

Here are some resources you may find helpful:

There is also a new theme picker in the command palette to make it super easy to preview themes you’ve downloaded.

5 Likes

FWIW I think the update looks great! I use a custom theme usually (Material Theme) but I switched back to the original to see what the fuzz is about and now I’m considering dropping the custom one actually.

Loving the updates!

5 Likes

You can’t change anything about any UI without getting someone who doesn’t like it. By the same rule, not changing it also doesn’t make everybody happy.

Luckily, there is choice. E.g.:

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Theme%20-%20Retina

edit: @wbond great job on the release!

7 Likes

You can’t change anything about any UI without getting someone who doesn’t like it. By the same rule, not changing it also doesn’t make everybody happy.

I’m not the only person in the world that’s completely sick of so-called ‘modern’, ‘minimalist’, ‘Material Design’, ‘metro’, ‘human interface’, or whatever else they’re calling it. There is genuine criticism out there, and also support from others. I’m not telling anyone which one to run. Give the users the choice.

ST3 has apparently decided to completely abandon it and leave it to third-party developers. So be it, as long as their extension API can fully support it.

Luckily, there is choice. E.g.:

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Theme%20-%20Retina

THANK YOU, this is exactly what I was looking for, and this is what @wbond and other admins should be recommending to others that ask in the future.

It’s apparently a bit broken after the v3 rollout, but they’ve got a github page, so I’ll head over there and file a bug report.

3 Likes

I’m confused. Sublimetext is now stable version? Not Beta? Sry for OT.

0 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: It’s stable now. And no more beta, only stable and dev versions.

0 Likes

The only thing I’m put off by is the status bar on the monokai theme. It’s super bright and it looks very out of place. I would definitely prefer that it was the same color as the background of the tabs section rather than the blue-gray it is currently

0 Likes

Have you tried the new Adaptive ui theme? It makes the entire ui match your color scheme.

0 Likes

People unhappy with the UI should give the Boxy theme (which is bundled with matching color schemes) a try. It’s actually multiple themes in one package, but they’re all very customizable and share settings for statusbar fint size and such… Use them through the Boxy: Activate option in the Command Palette :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I’m really unhappy with this… one of the big reasons I used Sublime Text is that it looks the way software did before the flat orthodoxy took over. If you were going to update to look like my operating system I guess that would be okay, but it somehow looks even LESS like my operating system than the old theme. It doesn’t look like anything.

I understand you can’t make everyone happy with a UI refresh, but when you do a big disruptive change to a large existing userbase you could at least guarantee making one group (your existing customers, who chose your product and probably like it) happy by including a “classic” style theme by default :confused:

Anyway, I do have a problem: I tried to install the Retina theme and it installed but now I have a bizarre red-and-green-stripe on every window:

Is there anything I can do about this?

0 Likes

This is because an image that the theme is using can’t be found. When that happens Sublime uses this garish image to make it obvious what’s missing.

More information is available here:

1 Like

flat orthodoxy

lol agreed, it’s a bit cult-y at this point. Like, what happened to doing your own thing?

Anyway, I do have a problem: I tried to install the Retina theme and it installed but now I have a bizarre red-and-green-stripe on every window:

The author of that plugin @braver has already fixed it but for some reason it isn’t showing up in packagecontrol.io. I asked him about that and he said it should have been pushed over by now. Anyway it’s fixed, and if it’s really bothering you, you can head over to his github page and download the release, and install it manually. Or just be lazy like me and wait patiently for the auto-update :slight_smile:

0 Likes

This can be fixed pretty easily, its just a minor typo in the Retina theme. Add the following to a file called Retina.sublime-theme in your User home for sublime to fix it. It will fix the path to the panel button texture (Original Retina had “Theme - Default/panels.png”)

[
    {
        "class": "panel_button_control",
        "layer0.texture": "Theme - Retina/panels.png",
   }
]
0 Likes

As I said previously, the author has already committed the fix, there’s no need to go editing anything

0 Likes

Great to see an ST update, but its killed my themes, I downloaded. Now, there are only two available. :frowning:
How do I re-install themes?

Thanks, Scott :slight_smile:

0 Likes

1 Like