Sublime Forum

Source code for Sublime Text

Hi,

Is the source code for Sublime Text available?

I get the impression that it isn’t (and haven’t found a link to it if it is - please direct me if it is available).

(I posted the following in response to another thread, but upon reflection, I felt it warranted a separate forum thread - so here it is again):

Having access to the source is important. It’s important to me. That doesn’t mean it needs to be open source.

Is (or could) the source be available to registered users? Could the license for the source include a clause that opens up the source at a later date or under certain conditions? Would that encourage people to pay for registration? Will it allow for ST2 to be used where security is critical (the source may be audited with only compiled in-house versions used). Would that help with bug/patch submissions? Well yes, to all of those.

Such a model has been proven to work too. Several for-profit, closed source, whatever-lable-you-put-on-them companies do offer such licenses along with their source code.

This seems like a low risk option too. Consider how many open source editors there are out there. Consider the statements about whether Jon is the critical element or whether the source code is.

Is there a reasonable fear/concern that prevents the source from being available to users?

0 Likes

From time to time there is a guy who start begging for source code for sublime.
Did you also sent mail to google and ask for their source code in order do use their search engine?

0 Likes

Jon does have a right to pay his bills with the hard work he’s done in whatever way he thinks is best.

Here is another discussion where folks have made similar points:

Yeah I’d like to see Sublime open sourced too, but I’m not going to cry to mom if it doesn’t happen.
I’m happy enough seeing the continued and growing support from eager developers that love ST as much as I do.

Cheers to everyone for helping make coding as fun as ever!

0 Likes

First, I didn’t suggest that it be open source.
Second, I didn’t suggest that people not pay for it.
Third, I pointed out that this had been posted in a similar forum.

Are these childish voices the attitude of Sublime Text at large, or merely a few trolls?

It would be nice if someone could post a reasonable and thought out response. To whomever that future responder may be, thank you for your time.

0 Likes

Nope, sorry. We’re all trolls :smile:

To answer your question, no. The source code is not available.

0 Likes

Thank you for the more reasonable response.

0 Likes

HI,

I can understand the desire to see the code and the ability to enhance it as well. I think that allowing access to the code (as open-source or not) might prove to be more work for Jon (and he seems to be pretty busy as it is). Maybe this is something Jon might consider when the application development slows down a bit or for older version of the application…

I’m a huge supporter of open source software and SublimeText is the only Windows application that I have bought - all of the other applications I use are open source.

There are a few trolls here but the community is mostly supportive and helpful.

Cheers,
Josh

0 Likes

I would hope Jon would consider opening up the code to external contributors (in whatever form) if he ever wanted to retire from ST development. But as has been pointed out before, he has his own vision for ST, and the talent and devotion he pours into that vision would be hard to replace anyway.

0 Likes

The OP even posted in the topic about the emacs user. Why create another topic?

0 Likes