Sublime Forum

Show Project Name ANYWHERE in Sublime Text Window

I purchased a copy of sublime text as it is been my preferred editor for years now. I’ve recently had to work on a project that requires multiple versions of the website for different years and it is split into different sublime text projects. I have given each of the projects distinct names in the .sublime-project file but the editor doesn’t display this anywhere.

Because of this simple issue, I commonly mistake one project for the other and find myself having to cut large chunks of code and paste them into the other project. This has caused quite a few headaches and it is inconceivable to me that there isn’t a working solution for this simple problem.

Is there anything that I can do to display the project name in the title bar of the application? Will support for this be coming ever?

0 Likes

You could use this:

don’t use the linter stuff though, I’m not using SublimeLinter atm and I don’t know if it still works, SublimeLinter is updated very often so it would stop working as soon as it’s updated.

The rest should work but I’m not sure if there’s something that relies on my configuration.

You can add the project name so that it looks a bit like this:

0 Likes

I think it is working fine here on Windows 10:

What is your Operating System and Sublime Text versions?

You could give a look on the issue:

1. https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/1348 Make the “show_full_path”: true, show the path after the file name

But as @mg979 suggested, you can make the project title show up on the status bar.

0 Likes

Displaying the current project name in the title bar works for me across all platforms, although on MacOS the project name is not placed in brackets because the window caption doesn’t contain the name of the Application like it does on Windows/Linux.

In addition to the proposed solution of adding the project to the status bar (which can also be accomplished by this simple plugin as well), if you make use of the side bar on a regular basis, you can also modify your project so that the top level folder in your project is named to match the project.

For example, the following project will make the top level folder show as Site (Year 2017) no matter what the folder name actually is:

{
    "folders":
    [
        {
            "name": "Site (Year 2017)",
            "path": "."
        }
    ],
    "settings":
    {
    }
}
1 Like

I saw around some screenshots of themes that had the project name instead of the big “Folders” caption in the sidebar, would you know how to achieve that?

0 Likes

I don’t really play around with theming that much since my brain is not particularly geared to making things look graphically pleasing.

I think though that what you’re referring to isn’t technically the text that says “Folders” in the side bar (which I think is hard coded, although I could be wrong), but rather an additional texture that the theme is displaying.

For example in this screen shot from the Boxy Theme README you can see that the sidebar is still reporting OPEN FILES and FOLDERS but has the additional item that says EXPLORER as well:

https://github.com/ihodev/sublime-boxy#boxy-ocean--material

I think this more or less comes down to adding theme rules for the sidebar_container that apply a graphic (which is how Boxy appears to be doing that). A simple test shows that a bit more work is needed to stop the image from being applied to the entire sidebar background though. @ihodev can probably help you with the specifics (and more than likely point out how wrong I am as well ;)).

1 Like

Ok I can live without it I guess :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Do you have a screenshot of one of these themes, it they are just like @OdatNurd example?

0 Likes

I don’t remember which theme it was, sorry, saw it once and it was some time ago.

1 Like