Sublime Forum

RTL - support for right to left languages like Hebrew and Arabic

Years ago, in Sublime Text 2, I’ve told the support that the »best« text editor doesn’t work with text correctly, as soon as it is Hebrew or Arabic text. Wait for version 3, they’ve said.

Now in version 3 Sublime still cannot work with RTL text. I write scientific texts in more than one language, and there are millions of users in the scientific community and all the native Hebrew and Arabic speakers around the world. Why don’t you give us a text editor that works with text, RTL text?

It is not impossible to achieve this goal. BBEdit does it since years (but is not as universal as ST). Katib, a markdown editor, does it. Mellel, a text processor, does it. Why not Sublime Text?

This feature would lift Sublime Text 3 above all other editors, mightier than BBEdit, unreachable for all others. Come on, folks. It’s about time. Since years.

1 Like

0 Likes

Yes, 2013 it was a bug that should soon be addressed. Nothing happened. In 2016 still just the title bar and the tab bar show correct and readable RTL text, but the editor field does not. The best text editor should be much better in this respect.

Dear Sublime Text team, please don’t get me wrong: I’ld really love to work with ST3, but without RTL capacity it is worthless. Imagine you want to write: Hello World, and all you get is olleH dlroW (yes also the word order is wrong). Would you name this a text editor? The best one?

You should have done it years ago. Now come on and do it! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Adding another voice to this. I often convert Hebrew from legacy fonts (which are usually typed LTR) into RTL Unicode, and it can be very difficult to tell when the Unicode conversion is correct since I have to read it backwards. The RTL encoding is long overdue and would be a huge benefit to those working in multiple languages.

0 Likes

Hello,

In the following thread

they mentioned to vote to the Arabic RTL Since 2015, now we are approaching 2017 and still not yet done.

Regards

0 Likes