Sublime Forum

Relocate settings directory on Windows

Hello,

I would like to have ST3 store its settings in another location (on Windows 10).
The background for this is I would like to use a location under my Google Drive folder to automatically sync settings between different PCs.

Is anybody aware if this is possible? I tried the --data option in the command line, but it does not seem to work. Also I could not find any information about this online.

Thanks,
Martin

0 Likes

Relocating the "data" directory

Symlink.

Here’s an example: packagecontrol.io/docs/syncing

1 Like

Thanks - I would like to sync all settings so now reverted to using a sync tool to copy files from/to my Google Drive folder.

Much easier would be if the --data option would be supported by ST or if it would be possible to relocate the settings folders via other parameters (or registry on Windows).

Best regards,
Martin

0 Likes

I’m a recent new user, there’s lots of promise in this editor, but some holes.

“–data” is one of these, it does not work as advertised. This post also talks about this. I have the same requirement: common configuration among laptop and different desktops. --data does not work on the regular or the portable version.

0 Likes

--data is from ST1 days. It is not documented anymore for ST2 or when running subl --help.

If there is a “Data” folder where ST is running from, ST will enter portable mode and not look into the user profile iirc. When using NTFS, you can symlink that folder to somewhere else, probably (assuming Windows).

2 Likes

I’d like to know what marks this page as ST1 as opposed to ST2.

My workaround is to put the entire portable ST package on the shared drive (OneDrive, DropBox, whatever). Right now it is on OneDrive and behaving itself.

0 Likes

Yeah, its not immediately obvious - but there is a way, by looking at the number following sublimetext.com/docs/

ST2: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/
ST3: http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/

0 Likes