Sublime Forum

Release the source code

ST3 has been in beta for years.

It seems that the developer of Sublime Text has made a lot of money by selling ST2 for $75 and does not care about the product anymore. The plugin repository, the amazing add-ons/plugins - everything is at stake, because the product is basically dead. No more active development. Every comment to the contrary is a lie. The biggest joke is the post Development Status - July 2014 in the forum.

If the product was open source, we’d be using ST 4 already.

0 Likes

0 Likes

[quote=“tessus”]ST3 has been in beta for years.

It seems that the developer of Sublime Text has made a lot of money by selling ST2 for $75 and does not care about the product anymore. The plugin repository, the amazing add-ons/plugins - everything is at stake, because the product is basically dead. No more active development. Every comment to the contrary is a lie. The biggest joke is the post Development Status - July 2014 in the forum.

If the product was open source, we’d be using ST 4 already.[/quote]

Better yet, why don’t you code a program like this??

0 Likes

The chances of this happening are small at best. In honesty, there has been several small updates in the past week so it seems things are picking up, well at least one hopes.

0 Likes

It’s a fair request, but to be clear, the decision to open-source a piece of software belongs exclusively to its owner(s). No one owes you free access to their work product.

0 Likes

Why do you need it? Why not make your own? Why not contribute to Textmate?

0 Likes

Uhm, to improve it? The first thing I’d do is fix the atomic save default, then add more sidebar facilities. I could do that because I’d have the source.

Like in all open source projects…

I realize Sublime Text is never going to be open sourced, but given the sudden months of non-responsiveness and stalled development, it’s definitely a fair request.

0 Likes

Textmate is only available on Mac. But why do you seem to be against this idea? Does releasing the source code harm you in any way? It can only be beneficial to the community. Lots of bugs will be fixed very quickly after the source code is released.

0 Likes

[quote=“JacobWille”]

Uhm, to improve it? The first thing I’d do is fix the atomic save default, then add more sidebar facilities. I could do that because I’d have the source.

Like in all open source projects…

I realize Sublime Text is never going to be open sourced, but given the sudden months of non-responsiveness and stalled development, it’s definitely a fair request.[/quote]

It’s a fair request, yes. So is the decision to deny it.

I’m just putting that out there because of how common it is these days for people to a) feel entitled to the product of someone’s labor if it happens to be software (but hypocritically this philosophy of sharing doesn’t seem to apply to THEIR labor), and b) sophomorically assume that open source is a silver bullet. I’m not saying you’re one of those people.

0 Likes

[quote=“tessus”]ST3 has been in beta for years.

If the product was open source, we’d be using ST 4 already.[/quote]

You high?

First, “Release the source code”. Is that a demand?

It seems like you are wrong…and why do you have to repeat the same thing 3 times? What does how much he made have to do with anything?

I had more haha in this post.

You sound angry, join a course or something…

Not even gonna bother with the last statement.

0 Likes

Hmmm…I don’t agree with the way this post is written, but to some extend I see releasing the source code for Sublime is not a bad thing. I know it’s a product created by a small developer…etc. However let be honest, the development of this amazing editor has been slowed down because of lack of resources. This is where the open source community can help. Take the bar to the next level. The developer can still own the product and can specify whatever license is necessary.

Fun enough, the open source community realizes this problem as many times this thread like this have been posted. Yet no action from the developer :cry: - too shame!. The community now started a new open source project with an objective to implement something similar (yet not identical) to sublime text. For anyone interested, checkout http://limetext.org

0 Likes