Sublime Forum

Official package channel

I’m beginning to think that Sublime Text should have its own, officially supported package discovery/management tool which comes pre-installed.

Now, don’t get me wrong – the Package Control plugin is fantastic, but I think that already with ~80 packages in the system, it needs an overhaul. I don’t see it scaling well beyond its current position. The problem is not with wbond’s work on it, but that he’s working within the confines placed on 3rd-party-devs. The command palette is a cool feature, but it’s not the best tool for browsing a large number of packages to install. Since it brings so much value to ST2 and unlocks so much useful functionality of the editor, I think it really belongs as a built-in and deserves official support. Currently, telling people “go to this site, and copy that big strange string of python and paste it into the console” isn’t a nice introduction to ST2.

Things which I’d like to see in it:

• being able to categorise packages would be a great start
  • see usage statistics, order by ‘most popular’, ‘newest’, etc.
  • integrated display of readme files
  • being able to install specific versions of a package (as defined by tags)

I’ve created a Userecho ticket for this too: sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/80643-/

0 Likes

I like the idea. Do you foresee much more than a different dialog other than Command Pallete? I like the current ability to just add a githib or bitbucket repo url.

0 Likes

About two weeks before wbond’s package manager came out, guillermooo released his own package manager that displayed the package-list in a buffer. I find that I highly prefer this method of presenting information over the command palette.

If wbond’s backend could use guillermooo’s frontend… dare I imagine?

0 Likes

thank you for sharing, It is a great post.

0 Likes

While not perfect, wbond has launched this on the Package Control website: wbond.net/sublime_packages/community.

As you can see it has some features you talk about (usage stats).

0 Likes