Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

Taking some inspiration from a variety of the icons already posted, here is a first attempt at another variation (although I’m no icon maker, so I don’t know what I’m doing). Please feel free to run with it.

Text in the background is part the svg file itself and sublime_plugin.py for the right hand side, using solarized dark theme.

All done with Inkscape.

Sublime-Text-icons-source.zip (233 KB)

0 Likes

Nicely done. I like how you retained more of the original palette.

0 Likes

I like that one too.

Thanks for the effort Nate, but I guess what I was asking earlier was how do I change the icon in ST2 itself? I can change the icons on my desktop all willy-nilly, but when I open a program, it usually opens with it’s original one.

After some Googling I realized this is a problem specifically for .exe and such and you need to download something else to change it. Ah well, I’ll just wait until a new one is standard. Hopefully soon as the current one looks pretty bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rikcvDU-6U)

0 Likes

Can we get a .icns version of that?

0 Likes

Just wanted to share the .icns-file I built using the file Squiggle provided. The “S” wasn’t my cup of tea, so I removed it. Been using the one from natebeaty before, but I like this one a lot better. :smile:
Sublime Text 2.zip (80.7 KB)

0 Likes

[quote=“aparajita”]

Can we get a .icns version of that?[/quote]

It’s back on page 6: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1558&start=50#p9365

0 Likes

Are there plans to add file type icons?
Embedding just a few in the main exe might be worth the small effort.

I use the portable version of ST2 and a script that associates all the sublime preferences/settings files with ST2.
And I made this quick icon just to help me distinguish between these files and others.

file_sublime.zip (9.28 KB)

I’d like to have a couple more as generic as possible just to visually distinguish some of the various code file types I use. But I’m not much of a designer and the icons I’ve tried making don’t stand out like they should when they are small.

Edit: Sorry I hope my message doesn’t detract from the logo discussion, but I think this it’s relevant enough for the designers here to take a look at.
Thanks In advance :smile:

0 Likes

Though I DO believe the current icon is sufficient, it IS rather annoying to have a linux terminal open on the task bar along with an instance of Sublime… When I’m in “mouse mode”, I will 9 times out of 10 accidentally click the wrong app a few times. The icons just look too similar.

No biggie, I can change the Icon to something else…

0 Likes

Ok, do whatever you want dreaming about new icon and creating it, but keep in mind that Sublime Text 2 have an OS X version too and OS X applications have a perfect icons. So, the Sublime Text 2 icon must be also perfect. Look at Coda, Espresso and etc. first.
No offense, but it is true. It’ll be painful to have such a great app with ugly or unsuitable icon and I suppose everybody share my feelings about that.
Try best.

0 Likes

[quote=“atomi”]Are there plans to add file type icons?
Embedding just a few in the main exe might be worth the small effort.

I use the portable version of ST2 and a script that associates all the sublime preferences/settings files with ST2.
And I made this quick icon just to help me distinguish between these files and others.

I’d like to have a couple more as generic as possible just to visually distinguish some of the various code file types I use. But I’m not much of a designer and the icons I’ve tried making don’t stand out like they should when they are small.

Edit: Sorry I hope my message doesn’t detract from the logo discussion, but I think this it’s relevant enough for the designers here to take a look at.
Thanks In advance :smile:[/quote]

This is really nice, thank you!

I can take a shot at making the filetype icons a little more visually appealing if you don’t mind sharing the source file :smile:

0 Likes

Here is the PSD I used schmrom.deviantart.com/art/Filet … D-88637169
Thanks to the designer, it was very little work to get the sublime document icon done using that source.
I darkened up the edges a little and just dropped in the current Sublime Text logo.
That was about it on my part. But yeah, have fun with it :smile:

Edit: There is also this source available at deviantart jasonh1234.deviantart.com/art/Le … -106107697
Not really designed to work as a tiny icon, it would need some extra work to get it there as well.

0 Likes

[quote=“ricfurness”]I fell in love with Sublime Text 2 recently, but the icon did seem to taint my dock a little.

I decided to create my own - nothing overly fancy, but something to ‘keep me going’ until it has an official refresh.[/quote]

I really liked the direction here, but since there was no icon file, I created one myself.

Here’s the icon files:
cl.ly/0Q3e3a1r0N151P0A3d1v

How to create the icon file:
tuaw.com/2007/02/26/how-to-make-mac-icons/

How to install the icon file:
gim.ie/amZq

Tools Used:
Photoshop
Illustrator
Icon Composer | en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Deve … n_Composer

0 Likes

HI all,
I actually quite like default icon in principle, its simple and easily distinguished.
I use a mac though so simple flat icons tend to stick out like a sore thumb on the dock.

I created the below for my own use but thought I would share it here.

download icons for windows/linux/osx : http://bit.ly/popqhz

0 Likes

Love it. Reminds me of the obelisk in 2001.

0 Likes

Thought I would toss my hat into the ring. Our team has been using this icon for a while and have enjoyed it. Thanks!

0 Likes

This one’s awesome! I’m using it now too. :smile:

0 Likes

Nice work :smile: I’m using this one now too.

0 Likes

ICO?

0 Likes

Looks great, just switched to that :smile:

0 Likes

Based on a logo I saw here, I quickly sketched this one out. I think the Sublime Text logo should be sublime, simple, and peaceful. What do you think, does anyone like it?

0 Likes