Sublime Forum

New Files Not Showing in Sidebar

Hello,

I’ve started using Sublime Text 3 in earnest and I’ve run across a annoying problem/bug. When I have folders and files listed in the sidebar, new files do not appear.

If I create a new file, usually by doing a “Save As” on an existing file, or right-clicking on folder in the sidebar and selecting “New File”; the file does not appear in the sidebar The only way to get it to appear is to remove the top-level folder from the sidebar and then drag and drop the folder anew into the sidebar.

I’ve seen this issue mentioned in the forum years ago, but I did not see a definitive solution.

I’m running OS X 10.9.5

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes

Are they behind directories hard links/disjunctions?

Can you link the older discussion?

0 Likes

what build of ST are you using?
are the files stored on a network or locally? what file system?

1 Like

They are normal directories and files, stored locally.

The older thread is here:

I’m using the latest build: 3126

Clarification: I’m assuming folders and files should update/refresh automatically in the sidebar. If this is not the case, then disregard this post. IOW, I assume if I use the sidebar to add a new file, the new file should show in the sidebar without further intervention…

1 Like

seems like something similar was also reported here:

1 Like

You may checkout latest dev built as the sidebar has undergone heavy improvements since 2127.

0 Likes

I have a similar problem in Linux due to inotify instances being starved out. I don´t know if this is related to the Mac behavior, but in the meantime, have you tried pressing F5 (refresh manually) to see if the new files show up? That’s the work around I have now in linux until the inotify issue is improved.

For reference the linux issue is this one

1 Like

I have a similar problem when I open a folder from WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux). Creating a new file or folder from the sidebar doesn’t show it until I refresh using Project: Refersh Folders command. :frowning:

It works perfectly fine when I open a folder from Windows, but not when a folder from WSL2 is opened. I am running Ubuntu on WSL.

PS: WSL2 uses a network connection to view the Linux files on File Explorer. See the below screenshot:

Sublime Text Build 4113
Windows 10 2H1

1 Like

Windows doesn’t provide file system notifications to windows applications when changes in WSL files and folders happen, so Sublime has no way to detect that anything is different unless you manually refresh it.

2 Likes

VS Code does it seamlessly with the Remote WSL Extension. I wonder if something similar is available for Sublime. :grin:

0 Likes

The only thing that can put files into the sidebar is the core; manipulating it via the plugin API is not currently possible. So, any solution to this needs to either be done in the core, or by some external means (such as windows being able to deliver notications on file shares or such).

1 Like