Sublime Forum

Moving to Sublime 3 after fifteen years with TextPad

Hereā€™s a post on my transition from being a faithful TextPad user, to using Sublime Text 3. There are lots of comparisons between the two editors (Sublime could learn a thing or two from TextPad) as well as tips for new users.

aliteralmind.wordpress.com/2014/ ā€¦ o_sublime/

0 Likes

Nice article and well written, thanks for sharing.

Concerning your smart cursor placement issue, take a look at:
https://github.com/bizoo/SmartCursor
Works not so badā€¦

0 Likes

Will give that plugin a try. Thanks for the tip.

I also added a comment to the three year old :frowning: userecho feature request.

Also found this long forum thread about it: "Smart" horizontal cursor positioning

0 Likes

SmartCursor is great! It only does half the job, but itā€™s the more important half.

Unfortunately itā€™s been abandoned, and itā€™s not on Package Control. Here are manual installation instructions:

aliteralmind.wordpress.com/2014/ ā€¦ ter_cursor

0 Likes

@bizoo likes to pretend that heā€™s given up on Sublime, but then he shows up in the forums pushing his plugins :smile:

P.S. I love SmartCursor. It only kicks in once in a blue moon, but when it does itā€™s wonderful :smile:

Alex

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œquodlibetā€]@bizoo likes to pretend that heā€™s given up on Sublime, but then he shows up in the forums pushing his plugins :smile:
[/quote]

Busted!
No, I never said Iā€™m giving up on Sublime, only that I donā€™t want to give some of my free times to ST anymore, so donā€™t want to take care of my plugins.
I always look for an alternative for ST, but didnā€™t found anything. ST is (for me) still the best (but competition improve quickly).
I think that the lack of communication and support from jps (or someone else) is slowly killing ST.
For instance, this plugin was possible because jps give me a hint for an undocumented property of the API, today as he almost never look at this forum, it will probably not possible anymore.
Sad, just sadā€¦

0 Likes

Fair enough. Iā€™ve needled you before about this and I donā€™t want you to feel defensive about your choice. How you or any other plugin authors spend your free time is your business.

You have a point about support. ST has expanded from being a niche product to being the commercial cross-platform text editor of choice. Development and support has not followed this shift. Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll pick up. But, as you said, thereā€™s no real alternative ā€“ yet.

0 Likes

Just wanted to say thanks! This plugin is what tipped the scales for me to buy ST.

0 Likes