Sublime Forum

Jon what is the future of Sublime Text?

[quote=“Vanishing”]

[quote=“Kaniken”]
I guess Dr Dobbs’ journalist is having an attitude too…

drdobbs.com/tools/review-of- … 033?pgno=3[/quote]

Did I talk to you?[/quote]

No, but the reply is relevant.

0 Likes

A 1 user license of SlickEdit is $299. About 4x the price of Sublime.

I’m sure if he charged that much he could pay for support staff. :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“Kaniken”]

[quote=“Vanishing”]

Did I talk to you?

No, but the reply is relevant.[/quote]

It is irrelevant, unless you are implying “Dr Dobbs” is Arjan.

0 Likes

Again you miss the point. It’s irrelevant who you talked to. This is a forum, so I can reply to whatever and whoever I want in whatever context.

Whatever.

0 Likes

I think that much of this could be solved if Jon show up once a month, reply a couple of question and write just a paragraph blog post with a status update.
All we agree about his technical skills, but he is laking some community skills, and this is not less important for the future of the project.

0 Likes

[quote=“thecrumb”]A 1 user license of SlickEdit is $299. About 4x the price of Sublime.

I’m sure if he charged that much he could pay for support staff. :smile:[/quote]

Correction. A 1 user licence on a SINGLE PLATFORM is $299. If you want to run SlickEdit on 3 platforms (Windows, Mac, and Linux, as I do), you need to pay $649.

I’ve already posted my thoughts on the Dr Dobbs article elsewhere on the forums (https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/comparison-of-sublime-to-other-editors-like-slickedit/11807/1#p55752), so I won’t go into that here. I will say that even though the author mentions the support or lack thereof of both editors, he didn’t let that keep him from recommending a purchase of Sublime.

Once again, I’ve failed to get my point across. Let me sum it up. I believe certain peoples expectations to be unrealistic and without base. They keep trying to compare the support efforts of a single man shop with that of a well established, multi-national company such as Microsoft, Adobe, or even SlickEdit. I’ve had dealings with most of these types of companies in their infancy, and few of them did a good job of support (some much worse than Sublime). When you purchase a product from Microsoft, Adobe, or SlickEdit, support is explicitly called out and that expectation is set by the company themselves. Sublime gives no such guarantee. A purchase of Sublime is as is. You get an editor. Period. Some may say this is a bad business practice. I can’t argue about that. It appears to me that Jon feels that the best place for him to put his efforts is on the editor itself. It actually gives a good indication of his focus. He’d rather lose a potential sale than compromise or slow the work on the editor itself.

0 Likes

Well said…I also believe this to be the case.

I also get the impression that Jon likes to spend the majority of his efforts on things that interest him rather than things that the community deems important. Some people may have issues with this approach but I figure that it has resulted in a pretty amazing product so far (and there’s no reason to believe that this will change).

0 Likes

Wow, are you really THAT dense? What does the EULA have to do with anything?

Every company has a no-warranty clause. That’s no excuse for not behaving like a real company and answer customer mails and maybe even requests like the original poster of this thread made.

0 Likes

[quote=“thecrumb”]A 1 user license of SlickEdit is $299. About 4x the price of Sublime.

I’m sure if he charged that much he could pay for support staff. :smile:[/quote]

$70 isn’t exactly chump change when it comes to a text editor. That’s pretty premium/niche product there.

0 Likes

In the world of developer tools, $70 is chump change.

0 Likes

[quote=“Kaniken”]Wow, are you really THAT dense? What does the EULA have to do with anything?

Every company has a no-warranty clause. That’s no excuse for not behaving like a real company and answer customer mails and maybe even requests like the original poster of
this thread made.[/quote]

Let’s not devolve into name calling. Yes, most companies have the no warranty clause, but in the cases of the companies I’ve mentioned, they also specifically call out the support model, either as part of their EULA, on their website, or included in the purchase page. No such verbiage is given in the case of Sublime, therefore, expecting platinum level support (which is what many companies call being able to directly email a developer and receive a response in 1 business day) is unrealistic.

0 Likes

What about ever ?

0 Likes

I bought ST2 a few years back when I switched from BBEdit. As a paying customer, I’m going to offer my opinions.

Whenever I pay for a software product I expect it to be supported. If I send an email to support, I expect to receive a response within a reasonable time frame. (48 hours is reasonable). Why should I spend $70 on a product that may not be supported in a year?

When I tried out Brackets.io, I hopped on the Brackets #irc and had an answer to a question within minutes. Another time, I posted a note on twitter and within 24 hours had a message from one of the developers. Impressive for open-source!

While I use the ST3 beta or Brackets, depending on my mood, on Windows. On the Mac I’m back to BBEdit. It doesn’t have some of the nifty features ST does but it makes up for it in other areas.

ST has a great community, lousy customer service, and questionable future.
Brackets has a new, growing community, and great customer service. (I’d pay for it if I could)
BBEdit has a great community, great customer service, and fantastic documentation.

ST ought to support the users of the product. A simple blog update would answer the question of whether it’s abandon ware or not. Personally, I feel like it’s headed in the same direction as TM.

0 Likes

[quote=“Kaniken”]

[quote=“somedude”]
For fuck’s sake, didn’t you read the EULA[/quote]

? If you don’t agree with it, just don’t buy the product and go find another editor. It is that simple.

Wow, are you really THAT dense? What does the EULA have to do with anything?

Every company has a no-warranty clause. That’s no excuse for not behaving like a real company and answer customer mails and maybe even requests like the original poster of this thread made.[/quote]

The real question is, are you that dense, if you don’t like it, use some other editor. Good luck.

0 Likes

Well said.

0 Likes

Jon just put out 2 releases in 24 hours. That should answer the question on whether or not it’s abandonware. I disagree with your assessment. If I pay for software, I expect software. If I pay for support, I expect support. In the case of some software, when you pay for the software, they guarantee some level of support, and it’s explicitly stated that you are getting some level of support with your software. Sublime has never stated any level of support with the purchase of the software. That’s the point I was trying to make. Some people have expected something that was never explicitly stated.

0 Likes

[quote=“ntenney”]

Jon just put out 2 releases in 24 hours. That should answer the question on whether or not it’s abandonware. [/quote]

That seems to be his (moderately succesfull) strategy: put out a few tiny releases that took him 2 hours to cook up ever so often, to get clueless clowns like you to act as his “not abandonware” alibies.

What has really happened of real value in ST the last six months? Oh yeah, image preview and menu fixes on linux.

qed.

0 Likes

[quote=“Kaniken”]That seems to be his (moderately succesfull) strategy: put out a few tiny releases that took him 2 hours to cook up ever so often, to get clueless clowns like you to act as his “not abandonware” alibies.

What has really happened of real value in ST the last six months? Oh yeah, image preview and menu fixes on linux.

qed.[/quote]

I’m jealous of the fact that somehow Jon has let you see the source code for sublime so that you can make that determination of how long each update takes him to write.

Kaniken, I’ve tried to be nice. I disagree with your conclusions, but I’ve never called you names or made any negative comments against you. You, on the other hand have called people names and seem far too invested in trashing an editor that you’ve already said that you aren’t going to be purchasing. Your behavior in this instance seems rather odd, and one begins to question your motives.

Looking back at the change logs for ST3 for the last 6 months, the only month in which there wasn’t at least 1 update for ST3 was the month of September. Most of those months, there were multiple updates. So, for 1 month there’s no update, and suddenly folks are wondering if Sublime has been abandoned. Other than Brackets, how many other editors out there put out even so much as a monthly update? SlickEdit updates once or twice a year, and as far as I have seen doesn’t put out weekly blog posts telling people that they are still working on it. Months go by without any word from Microsoft on Visual Studio. What is it about Sublime that makes people so insecure as to demand that Jon post “regular” status updates (for varying definitions of regular)?

0 Likes

[quote=“ntenney”]

In the world of developer tools, $70 is chump change.[/quote]

That doesn’t change the point of my statement in the least. Sublime Text is not an IDE it is a text editor albeit a great one. $70 is a lot for a text editor, especially when you get near zero support with it.

0 Likes

If you didn’t pay, what support is realistic? If you did pay, you probably know the score.

IMHO I’m willing to give time, trust and faith. Why? Because this is already the best darn text editor on the planet, and taking it further takes clear thinking and consideration – which is likely what’s happening.

/s

0 Likes