Sublime Forum

Is sublime no longer updated?

Again, you don’t tell me what to do and what not to do. I read your earlier post and chose to disregard it.

0 Likes

You’ll just have to accept that SublimeHQ works on Valve time.

3 Likes

LOL That nailed it. :joy:

0 Likes

You’re being extremely rude.

3 Likes

Just wanted to give the devs some love and let them know that most sublime users aren’t so arrogant as to think we’re owed anything other than a copy of your fantastically stable product.

Keep up the fantastic work fellas.

7 Likes

That is great to hear :slight_smile:

One question - How you established how much an upgrade license will cost from ST2? For some unsolicited feedback it would be an instant buy for me at around $15.

0 Likes

This is a good reason for a release and I also don’t think the 4+ years beta state is useful.
However if someone does not depend on such a policy he can just use it as if it was out of the beta, because it is more stable than other “stable” releases and I think even more stable than ST2.

You have an unlimited trial to try out the software and if it does not work as expected you can just switch to an other editor. Hence nobody will be disappointed if he gets the software he has already extensivly tried out. The dev builds won’t change so much you just get some features earlier. Sublime Text does not charge for having access to the dev builds or for not having a popup, but for a license for continued use and you will have access to the dev builds and the popup will disappear if you buy it.

0 Likes

There is this blog post:

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/2013/01

Pricing. The price for a Sublime Text license key has increased by $11, from $59 to $70, the first price rise in Sublime Text’s five year history. All licenses purchased at this new price are valid for Sublime Text 3. Users with a Sublime Text 2 license key can continue using the key with Sublime Text 3 while it’s in beta. When 3.0 is released, upgrades will be available for $30, or $15 for users who have purchased recently. The cut off date for the reduced upgrade price will be based on the actual date of the 3.0 release.

0 Likes

Yes, we do agree that the beta went on too long, and don’t plan on repeating such a long release cycle in the future.

13 Likes

Yes I have seen that. I have asked in the past if that was still correct as it is more than 4 years old now. Last time they had not decided.

1 Like

Just thought I’d throw in my 2c. I’ve been using ST3 (notepad++, vim before that) for a while (I paid for a license) and it is still my go to editor. I try out the competition every couple of months and while they are closing the gap - notably VSCode, ST3 still has the lead for performance, functionality and feel for me. I just hope that sublime text doesn’t lose critical mass because the development is slower than all the others. Sublime is useful by itself but more so because of the plugin community. Keep up the good work, many thanks.

4 Likes

May I suggest you try VSCode? It is very actively developed, has a huge plugin community, and recently became good enough for me to switch from sublime to vscode. It lacks in one major department, the speed of searching for files, but that’s on the roadmap.

1 Like

My own personal rule of thumb is: don’t pay for software based on future promises. Pay if it does what you want today. This applies to any software (actually most anything), not just Sublime Text. While everyone likes useful updates and you might be disappointed when updates don’t occur as frequently as you’d like, if you follow this simple guideline you should rarely feel like a “sucker”.

This seems like a problem you should be addressing to your organization.

8 Likes

Well I’ve been using Atom “stable” releases for a year or so now and found them not particularly stable (i.e. hang/crash, also font size on startup being quite “random”).

I did have the Sublime Text 3 stable build crashing occasionally on Windows 10 but the latest dev build seems to have sorted it out.

2 Likes

Sublime Text versus Visual Studio Code in 2019