Sublime Forum

Entering license on the dev build crashes it

Hello.

I am running Windows 10, latest update.

I’ve got two licenses registered to my email and this forum profile, but no matter which i enter,
as soon as i hit “use license” when trying to open the Sublime Text dev build, it crashes, saying something about the license is no longer active.

Albeit, going back to non-dev the license works just fine without any issues.

Here’s the steps I’ve tried:

*Installing Sublime Text 3 non-dev version.

• Remove my license there
  • Add it again to make sure it works, which it did
  • Remove it again, in case theres a conflict with V3 dev.
  • Remove all settings from appdata local and roaming as well as uninstalling both dev and non dev version. (they weren’t installed at the same time at any point).
  • Installing v3 dev again.
0 Likes

Are you sure that what you’re seeing is a crash and not just that the dev builds won’t run without a valid license key?

A license key that works in the latest stable build but not in the latest dev build could be an indication that somehow your license key has leaked into the wild and has thus been added to the list of now-invalid keys. If this is the case you should contact sales@sublimetext.com.

Your mention of the email address is somewhat confusing in that there’s no location in Sublime itself where you would enter an email address, nor is there one in the license key. Potentially you may mean trying to use your email address on the License Key Retreival page, but if that’s not the case, your license key should look something like the following:

----- BEGIN LICENSE -----
Your Name
Single User License
0000-0000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
------ END LICENSE ------

Note also that per the Sales FAQ you are allowed to install Sublime on as many computers as you want as many times as you want (as long as you’re the one using it) so it’s perfectly valid to have multiple installs at the same time on the same computer. As such there should be no conflict between multiple versions (for example I have four different versions installed on this computer right now, all with my license key without any issues).

3 Likes

I’ve managed to capture the error on a print-screen last week. It’s difficult as it only shows very briefly before self-closing along with the license dialog. When I try to launch it again, the license dialog comes up again, and the same error occurs when I enter my license, and it crashes/shuts down again.

The license key is valid, as I downloaded v3 non-dev and tried there, where it accepted it without any issues what so ever.

With email, what i meant was that the email that bought the license is the same for this forum account, and the “Your Name” field in your license template is the same as my name on here. So it should be a valid license, also for the dev builds.

0 Likes

If your license used to work, but no longer does means exactly what @OdatNurd said: your key was found in the wild. You’ll need to contact sales@sublimetext.com about the issue.

0 Likes

It still works. If i download V3 no-dev and enter my license there, which i bought and didn’t find on some website (feel free to look it up via my username here), no issue at all. I get a licensed Sublime Text 3.

However if I enter the exact same license into the v3-dev, it force-closes and asks for a license again when i start the next time, where it then closes down again…

0 Likes

The stable build was from Sept 2016, whereas the dev build is from July 2017. That indicates your license was found to be leaked sometime between those two dates.

0 Likes

I really don’t think it has leaked, as I’ve only entered a very few times during reinstall, and not had it stored anywhere online except a closed off self-hosted cloud backup system. Could you check up on it internally?

I know that I by accident purchased two licenses, and had one refunded, but i don’t know if that messed with your systems, but the one that I was sent still works perfectly.

Should I contact sales anyways, even though I don’t believe it’s a leak? I have the original receipt for both licenses in my name, and I’ve not shared them with anyone. If you can check it, I doubt it’s in use at all right now, as I removed it from this PC in an attempt to get the dev version to work.

(Ps. since I can still, as late as today, register the V3 no-dev version, shouldn’t that check up against a server and validate it? And shouldn’t v3-dev then check up against same server; Because then I don’t understand how I could use the license on no-dev today?)

0 Likes

Afaik, blocked or invalidated licenses are hardcoded and are not fetched from a server. I cannot say why though.

Other than that I suggest contacting the sales mail address to verify.

0 Likes

Okay, I’ll see if Will can check that. If my license is blocked I’ve got a lot of researching to do.

I take it @wbond can check licenses registered to this user, and tell me whether or not they have been blocked, and I can investigate that?

I’ll also contact sales right away. Thank you @FichteFoll

0 Likes

The sales email is the correct place to check in with. I don’t deal with refunds, so if you think you are possibly using a refunded license, Kari would definitely be able to help.

1 Like

Okay thanks a ton. I’m just using the one that was sent to me via the retrieve lost license page.

Thank you for the help, I’ll hopefully get it sorted out quickly :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Facing the same issue on Windows 7 with latest dev build.
Licence works fine on OS X dev build.

Unlikely the licence is blocked as I bought it yesterday.

0 Likes

does it still crash if you create the license file manually?

1 Like

Using Windows 32-bit portable version and followed above steps to create plain text licence file in Data/Local folder. Now when sublime 3 starts, licence from licence file is correctly displayed. But ‘Use Licence’ throws up some error which disappears so fast I’m unable to capture it so far.

0 Likes

The license had been blocked. When I asked for the refund, they’d refunded both licenses, so a new purchase fixed it. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the great help

0 Likes

Fixed the issue.

Issue caused by copy-paste error. Name & ‘Single User License’ ended up in same line.

Invalid license error came up in beta build which helped to correct it.

Thanks.

0 Likes