Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3067

I intend to, but in the short term I’d specifically like to work on the items that would make the core forum members the happiest.

0 Likes

Ditch the damn phpBB! NOW! :mrgreen:

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 3067 is out now, with a few bits of polish.

Development work on Sublime Text was very quiet in 2014. I don’t intend for that to be the case in 2015.

The next dev build is due out in 2 or 3 weeks. I’m planning on making some changes to the way Build Systems work for that build (see upcoming thread for details), but as a thank you to all the dedicated forum members, I’d like to take some suggestions for what else should go in the next build(s). Please post the feature or two that you’d most like to see, and I’ll see what I can do about it. Features will be loosely ranked by:

(number_of_posts) * (feature_benefit) * (number_of_users_who_will_use_feature) * (1/implementation_time)

Where number_of_posts is your post count on the forum, and feature_benefit is arbitrarily assigned by me, unless you can convince me otherwise :smile:[/quote]

Sublime program told me there is an update so I visit here but I couldn’t see the release note for 3067 and the download link. The latest is 3066. Didn’t you posted yet?

0 Likes

Hit reload in your browser and it’ll show up.

0 Likes

Please address some annoying bugs at first. E.g. file lock issues on Windows: github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/143

And then these features:

Plus:

• platform aware user settings, e.g. User/Preferences (Windows).sublime-settings
0 Likes

Not something very popular, but quick (I think) to implement and really useful when needed.

Hope it’s not a new year resolution that end quickly like most of them :wink:

0 Likes

Unfortunately the update for this build requires elevated privileges on windows (this was never the case before for the updates on my portable installation). For portable installs, can you please remove the need for administrator permissions?

0 Likes

Oh man,
Finally, I’ve been so worried that sublime text was dead.
Such a relief.

Can’t wait for new features and stuff.

0 Likes

It’s really good to hear from you Jon.

• Printing support, with full syntax highlighting.
  • Improved gutter support so that, as an example, you can use Git Status and Gutter Color plugins at the same time. Or, provide a built in VCS system to show changed files.
  • Sidebar work. Symbolic link icons can’t be changed (as I remember?). Allow us to dynamically modify rows - goes back to VS again.
  • Tooltip API. This is a big one from me. It’d give us the ability to show inline image previews, color pickers, tips on code style etc.
  • Switch from phpBB, Discourse is good. It’ll really help us with communication. Hopefully stop spam too.
  • Build in Sublime Package Control if wbond is up for that. It’d reduce a lot friction for new users looking to install plugins.
  • Show the project name (like the sidebar) in the window, not just the root folder.
  • API for graphical views. There is only so much one can do with the quick panel and views.
  • Split the default packages into GitHub so we, as a community can keep them up to date. I for one would help support the PHP, MySQL, CSS packages etc :smile:
0 Likes

For some reason, ST crashing for me since updating.

Not sure if is a package or not, I’ll update when I’ll be sure.

0 Likes

BracketHighlighter

Something that I’d like to have fixed:

• Start ST
  • Open file aaa.py (ST applies the Python syntax def)
  • Close ST
  • Delete the Python.tmLanguage file
  • Start ST

(This is better done with a syntax def that isn’t part of the stock packages; Python is simply an example here.)

Now you will get a modal error dialog warning you that the Python.tmLanguage file does not exist. If you have 20 or 200 Python files open, you will see as many error dialogs.

This is very annoying when you’re developing a package and botch the syntax file name, etc. Perhaps an error could be printed to the console instead.

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

Ditch the damn phpBB! NOW! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Add mail notification!

(phpBB is good for what it’s worth; Discourse would make subforums harder to find IMO. Don’t switch! - Or, maybe, to MyBB?)

0 Likes

As a small forum owner (based on discourse) I have to disagree, mostly because you don’t have subforums per se, but categories. The only downside (only at first; after couple of weeks of content you will see that’s really a feature!) is that you can’t have more than two levels of deepness (so you have cat1 > cat2 and that’s all, you can’t have cat1 > cat2 > catN).

Sure, initial impact of users used to classic forums (phpbb, vbulletin etc) will be huge, because nothing is like they are used to. But after couple of days, it’s just… they way is supposed to be.

Also, upgrading to a newer version (of either forum or plugins) is a breeze: couple of clicks and a minute later and you are on the latest version.

0 Likes

Hi JS! Great to see you’re back :smile:

As for new features I would like to vote for extending “Jump to definition” to support
C/C++/Objective C languages. This is something I greatly miss in my everyday work.

P.S. Please, do not start off topics here. There are suitable places
on this forum for discussions on forum engines and other issues not
related to the thread subject.

Best Regards,
Wojtek

0 Likes

Precisely. This is a support forum with a lot of different general topics. Don’t make it too flat.

0 Likes

Good to see an update!

• Splitting the default packages out and open source them will be a big win
  • Please give some love to the vintage package, fix some bugs, merge some PRs, I love this.
  • Multi gutter icon…
  • More APIs :smile:
0 Likes

I have no idea if you ever look at the sublime’s forum: 5 subforums (categories) and that’s all. No downside on using Discourse here :smile:

0 Likes

I personally find that I will often open the same file twice, in two monitors, in order to use one as a reference and the other as an actual editor. I’m a habitual saver, and if I occasionally switch focus over to the ‘reference’ window, the file will reload. Sometimes this is fine, but there are times when I wish it would not. It would be interesting if there was a system wide setting to disable automatic file reloads, and provide an command in a menu/hotkey to manually reload.

Speaking of reloading, it would be helpful to be able to right click a folder in the project tree and manually reload just that folder. If you’re connected to a large directory structure remotely over a slow connection, a full reload may be costly.

Finally, kind of a biggie…
How feasible would it be to facilitate a way for plugins to render a limited GUI? Basically, I would be interested in developing and having a Python package/module/class tree browser. Perhaps something that presents itself in a tab along with the directory structure.

0 Likes

I would like to see more internal things exposed in the API, especially around the index: some callback when index is updated, the list of files of the project, …, basically everything that can help building plugin that uses the symbols.
Also add the ability to create custom input panel (like the find panel): this is a question that comes pretty often in the plugin forum, and the current way to handle is not very user friendly (chaining n input panel :frowning: )
And some API to display tips (for function protoype for example)

0 Likes

Someone please, oh please update the blog.

Sublime has been getting some really bad feedback lately due to lack of communication. Here on the forum, on Twitter, and the other interwebs etc.

A regularly updated blog post would really help alleviate these fears.

Jim

0 Likes