Sublime Forum

CodeMap - interactive code tree plugin

Very cool, I also like that it closes the pane if you close the map, not so obvious :).
I still can’t get the map for that file (my other UTF-8 files show the map). Also, about my suggestion I found out later that disabling just gutter would also disable line numbers and fold buttons, so maybe it’s better just

code_map_view.settings().set(“gutter”, False)

so one can enable/disable them in one go, if preferred.

Thanks and good work!

0 Likes

…it closes the pane if you close the map…

Yes I thought it would be a good user experience. It’s all controlled by these settings:

{
    "close_empty_group_on_closing_map": true, 
    "show_in_new_group": true
}

I decided that maintaining font size different to other views is a bit an overkill. But the rest makes perfect sense.

…disabling just gutter…

Will consider putting this one into settings file too. Currently hiding is hard-codded.

As for that “naughty” codemap.py, can you just sent it to me. May be mine somehow is different to yours. I will have a look at its encoding.

0 Likes

This looks very similar to something I’ve seen in another editor. It appears to only map for the current file. Would it be readily extensible to following structure across several files?

0 Likes

The plugin is extensible, meaning that you can easily supply your custom routine (mapper) that would parse a file (or files) and produce the map. It actually comes with the mapper for MARKDOWN syntax. Thus showing the multi-file map is not a problem at all.

Navigating to the clicked item is a challenge.

The current implementation simply opens the document that is associates with the active map and navigates to the line with the same number as the last word in the clicked map item (line). Hooking into on_click event is not a problem. I can extend it and the custom handler can be taken from the same custom mapper module.

However, if you want to achieve multi-file model you will need to think how to encode multiple documents paths into the map item. This is something that you will need to solve if you are keen to get it working.

0 Likes

Thank you. There is another outliner style plugin that I discovered when pointed to a feature request for permitting API access to the sidebar. Once I’m finished with my current plugin development phase, I may take up the lance and attempt to extend this for a full source tree.

0 Likes

Thanks, this is similar to what I’ve been looking for…

I’ll need to do some reading in order to create an option for GMod Lua - does is the code_map..py where syntax is supposed to be the extension or the name… ie I have it as Lua but the syntax is GMod Lua - and from what I can see you load the language file ( and I pointed to that ).

Bookmarked…

For those having trouble

This is what I have so far for adding GMod Lua to CodeMap:

Note: For some
user\codemap\custom_languages\lua.sublime-syntax:

%YAML 1.2
---
# http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/syntax.html
name: CodeMapGModLua
file_extensions:
  - lua
scope: text
contexts:
  main:
    - match: \b(break|do|else|for|if|elseif|return|then|repeat|while|until|end|function|local|in|continue)\b
      captures:
        1: keyword.control.lua

functions:
    - match: \b(function)\s+([a-zA-Z_.:0-9]+[.:])?([a-zA-Z_]\w*)\s*(\()([^)]*)(\))
      captures:
        1: keyword.control.lua
        2: entity.name.function.scope.lua
        3: entity.name.function.lua
        4: punctuation.definition.parameters.begin.lua
        5: variable.parameter.function.lua
        6: punctuation.definition.parameters.end.lua

Basically reading the Lua.tmLanguage and altering the format to match the sublime-syntax style… Not done yet, but it is a start. and I’m using code_map.py.py with a few changes for now… renamed to code_map.lua.py

There are a lot of improvements that could be made the the mapper system - ie you have the python one hardcoded, just as the md one is hardcoded… It could be altered to create a nice output by using classes, etc… This way you can really control the output and you wouldn’t need to create the same script for each and every language ( unless you want to do something different… )

But, as it is, with some work this looks like what I’m looking for… If I create a dynamic mapper, I’ll probably submit it to the github project or post it here… Then you can define the language in python by calling the class and a few additions, then you don’t have as much code being repeated…

0 Likes

When you are happy with you mapper you can share it and I can include it into the default CodeMap package.

0 Likes

Sounds good - I’m making a lot of changes - this one will be for GMod Lua, although it’d work for Lua too - I’m slightly altering how you have it set up, helper functions / classes, etc…

Also, because I created my own coding standard, I have predefined variable names which always mean something specific so I replace _p with _p as helpful output in the function args list, for example…

Things like that will be easily definable…

I may add a different system for adding, ie supporting categories ( so instead of everything added to one single table - added to table[ category ][ type ] or simply table[ category ][ entry key ] = entry or similar with sorting options…

Additionally, because I use “namespacing” in my Lua code the output is quite large…
ie:

Classes / function Acecool.C.
  function Acecool.C.timekeeper:New( <N> _duration, <Timestamp> _start, <N> _delay, <*> _mode ):150
  function Acecool.C.timekeeper:FromTable( <*> _data ):201

would automatically remove the prefix so they’d show up as:

Classes / function Acecool.C.
  function timekeeper:New( <N> _duration, <Timestamp> _start, <N> _delay, <*> _mode ):150
  function timekeeper:FromTable( <*> _data ):201

to shorten the data being displayed…

The goal in the actual mapper script is to get rid of all of the repetitions:

# -- This is here so I can have a separate category for functions defined in my namespace sub Classes rather than it be under functions..
				if code_line.startswith( 'function Acecool.C.' ):
					last_type = 'function Acecool.C.'
					last_indent = indent_level
					_entry = ( line_num,
							'Classes / function Acecool.C.',
							line.rstrip( ),
							indent_level, 1 )

# --  Different category than above
				elif code_line.startswith( 'function ' ):
					last_type = 'function'
					_entry = ( line_num,
							'function',
							line.rstrip( ),
							indent_level, 1 )

elif code_line.startswith( 'local function ' ):
					last_type = 'local function'
					_entry = ( line_num,
							'local function',
							line.rstrip( ), #
							indent_level, 1 )

would become

SetupNewWatcher( string_search_for = 'function Acecool.C.', string_category = 'Classes / function Acecool.C.', boolean_strip_search_pattern_from_line = 1, string_substitute_replaced_search_pattern_with = 'function' )

or something similar… ie all of it becoming 1 line definition ( and then that defs file could be read from, in the following order fall-through: Project Root Folder > User Language Folder > User CodeMap Folder > Default CodeMap Folder > Default Language folder - or similar…

which would make using this plugin that much easier for people that aren’t familiar with python, or other languages but use ST3 for other purposes, etc…

I have this project on high priority because it’ll increase my efficiency on the other projects I’m working on so you can likely see a post soon…

Oh, question… At the top of the code_map..py file, you declare ignored, installed, and map_syntax but they aren’t used anywhere in the file… Do you use it in another file? I haven’t looked through the entire plugin yet - but I’m guessing you do use it to load certain data…

Current example of output: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oejte8c9vjed26y/sublime_text_unregistered__screenshot_20170914003027_7648.png?dl=0

0 Likes

Is there a way to hide the minimap for the CodeMap group? My function definitions with args are longer than I’d like the group to be - and I’ve done things to shorten it for example the primary classes group Acecool.C. is removed by adding it as a category and nested components are indented… But I added data-types to the arguments field ( although I may alter that too )…

Additionally… Is there a way to add icons ( specific ico files or png etc… ) to the gutter, or to the file output? And, since the gutter is hidden, is there a way to enable it? I have yet to look at the main plugin code, so it could all be right in front of me but since you created it, it’d take less time for you to simply reply than it would with me familiarizing myself with it…

The mapper is almost ready - I’m still putting a few things in place ( for example in GLua there are realms - ie where code is executed… Clientside or Serverside or shared / both which is typically known by if statements but some also add the designation to the file name or folder-name… Right now for REALM switches in the context of the code I add a new category and inject additional data before the prefix so if specified in a file, it is known for those lines )…

I still need to add built-in support for detecting localized functions and so on and use a special character to show it belongs to a parent instead of simply being tabbed - I will probably shorten the realm system too so it doesn’t take up important real-estate by having the category show the realm and have the same L char pointing that it is owned by a parent… I am going to re-add Alias support but possibly integrate them into the output where the original definitions are which would mean changing the storage system from the original mechanism… among other things…

Here’s an example of the output:

Basic idea of alias support

0 Likes

I am a bit confused about your post. CodeMap is designed in such a way that it is completely decoupled from the mappers. Thus the level of consistency (or inconsistency) between coding styles in both a mapper and plugin is completely irrelevant.

The same comes for your preferred naming conventions. And the ability of people to understand CodeMap internals.

The plugin extensibility model is extremely simple. You don’t need to know anything about CodeMap but just implement an analyzer for the syntax of your choice, with a very simple set of responsibilities. That analyzer is expected to produce a list of the file “bookmarks” in the form of <bookmark_name>:<line_number>. That’s it. Nothing more nothing less.

Feel free to format the whole entry as you want or to control the overall width of the entry. You can even place some visual separators:

Category A
  function_1: 20    
  function_2: 21

Category A
  function_1: 30    
  function_2: 31

-----------------

Globals
  function_1: 40    
  function_2: 41

All this is up to you and all this has no affect on CodeMap as double-clicking in the map view will ignore any decoration line and only navigate on clicking a valid bookmark entry <bookmark_name>:<line_number>.

May be I misunderstood your post but I interpreted it as a prompt for changing rather the actual plugin implementation than the developing Lua mapper. Please correct me if I am wrong.

0 Likes

Forgot…

Is there a way to hide the minimap for the CodeMap group?

Yes, I would live to be able to do that. Though don’t know if it is possible.

Additionally… Is there a way to add icons ( specific ico files or png etc… ) to the gutter, or to the file output? And, since the gutter is hidden, is there a way to enable it? I have yet to look at the main plugin code, so it could all be right in front of me but since you created it, it’d take less time for you to simply reply than it would with me familiarizing myself with it…

This goes well beyond the intended functionality of the plugin. Sorry.

The ST3 philosophy is to keep views extremely simple and to prevent developers from creating any complex (non-Text) views. I personally would prefer ST to allow me to do complex views as I can do for VSCode:

This way CodeMap would be much better suited for the purpose, but… we have what we have. Despite multiple requests ST team does not want to allow custom views or custom toolbars. And I am not sure it’s gonna change.

That’s why any attempt to mimic comprehensive visual experiences with pure text is going to be extremely costly. And, just considering a simple “effort vs. benefit” ratio makes me think that evolving CodeMap visual complexity is very unlikely.

Ironically the CodeMap itself is an attempt to mimic a TreeView with a pure text. Yes it works but there are only so much that can be done. Just compare it to my CodeMap for Notepad++. It’s so much better visually:

1 Like

The minimap can only be hidden on a per-window basis.

2 Likes

Thanks - I’m aware of the

<bookmark name>:<Jump-To-Line>

format - and the mapper I’m writing is a simplified way to add search / replacers and methods to format the output to make it cleaner… Think - a mapper could be made as a definitions file which includes a base mapper - ie

# Create the Categories we want to show ( Category Name, Category-Wide Actions to be applied to the entry, other flags )
<ENUM / Key> CATEGORY_FUNCTIONS = CodeMap.AddCategory( "Functions", { LINE_STRIP_RIGHT }, { CODEMAP_FUNCTIONS_CATEGORY } );
<ENUM / Key> CATEGORY_ENUMS = CodeMap.AddCategory( "ENUMeration" );

# Set the order in which the categories show in the output
CodeMap.SetCategoryOrder( CATEGORY_ENUMS, CATEGORY_FUNCTIONS );

# Other Config

# Indentation will be 2 spaces despite what is used in the file
CodeMap.SetIndentationChars( '  ' );

# Should we hide functions, etc... declared within other functions or show them indented?
CodeMap.HideNestedDeclarations( False );

# How should we display nested declarations? Examples of using the CharacterMap tree characters to clean up the look - Obviously there will be more config options, ie which char to show when it is the last in the list, the first, or in-between, and which to show when there are others ie double-line with 1 line going to it and the left one going underneath and so on...
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( ' ∟' );
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( ' ┗' );
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( ' ╚' );
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( ' ╙' );
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( ' ╘' );

# May set up args to look like: ( FirstWithoutOthers, FirstWithOthers, Center, End ) which would look like:
CodeMap.SetNestedDeclarationsChars( '└', '├', '├', '└' ); # But it could be shorted to Multiple, End ie the last 2 which would work with end being first without others and end, multiple being first with others and center meaning others...

# Adding a way to match code to a category ( Category Key, Match String, Match Start of Line or end of line or whatever ENUM so MATCH_LINE_REGEX MATCH_LINE_STARTSWITH MATCH_LINE_ENDSWITH, Flags varargs which can be MATCH_ or it can be things such as STRIP_LINE_LEFT STRIP_LINE_RIGHT STRIP_LINE LINE_TO_LOWER LINE_TO_UPPER ) or ( Category Key, Matching Text, Matching Options as a single option or an array, Entry Options as a single option or an array )
CodeMap.AddCategoryMatch( CATEGORY_FUNCTIONS, 'function ', MATCH_LINE_STARTSWITH, { LINE_STRIP_RIGHT, LINE_STRIP_MATCH_TEXT ( This will remove function  from the entry although this option could be applied to the category add code } );

# So we know to skip things in comments - more specifically to skip things in block comments where string.startswidth would be "fooled"...
CodeMap.AddCommentLineMatch( '//' )
CodeMap.AddCommentLineMatch( '--' )
CodeMap.AddCommentBlockMatch( '--[[', ']]' )
CodeMap.AddCommentBlockMatch( '/*', '*/' )

Etc… In short, what I am doing is making it easier to create mappers for new languages - right now it doesn’t seem you can create the lua.sublime-syntax and have it do the work for you - it seems like you need to create the mapper… And the mappers, right now, is a lot of repetitive code… if code_line.startswith: Add it elif re.find … elif blah blah blah…

What I am doing simply makes CodeMap available to a wider audience, quicker than would otherwise it’d be available to them because it saves them the time of creating a long / elaborate or repetitive code mapper by letting them make a few simple function calls and options to define or by making it easier for you to add languages…

Additionally, because there are built-in markers to detect when you’re in a comment-block, for example, it won’t wrongly match functions within those blocks and it has built in functionality to enable those features ie what do you want to do when you come across a nested function… or what do you want to do for nested whatever… what about classes… etc… In the category definitions function you simply define the behavior…

Everything to make things easier - so far I am enjoying CodeMap…

IE some basic features in my eyes would be a way to sort the function list by name, ensure anything categorized is held together so if functions is a category name, and enumerations is another, then you can always force all enumerations to display at the top ( I code in that way, but if someone else doesn’t and they want to show that category at the top, then it’d be available to them )…

Things of that nature is what I’m doing… Also the data-typing for languages which don’t have strict declarations in the function declaration - and for things that do such as C++ if a declaration is made at the top, and the real function is at the bottom then they can optionally be hidden or shown differently than in the functions category… etc…

A few questions: Is it possible to have the CodeMap in a separate window ( I prefer to have more room to code and I’ve shortened a lot of the definitions quite a lot [ Although I’ll probably add other keywords so function can be shortened to func and the rest of the code be properly highlighted, and so on to get everything shorter ] but it isn’t short enough - When I move CodeMap to a different window it isn’t updated and when I move it back, it’s fine )…?

In Notepad++ I had my functions list ( and the snippets panel ) on my right monitor docked to the left side of the monitor, and on the left monitor I had my file-tree docked to the right side, and so on…

This is one of the main reasons not being able to have separate panels in ST3 is such a drawback - but if you know a way where it can be updated in a separate window, that’d be fantastic ( to simplify behavior, the last file opened / selected, as it currently is, would be what CodeMap displays if it has a mapper for it )…

I agree - being able to have panels would increase efficiency as sometimes complex panels are needed… Having code analysis graphs generated would be nice, ie how much of the file size is from spaces, tabs, strings ( which should be in a language definitions file ), etc…

We’re incredibly limited - but ST3 is so much faster than Notepad++ because of the properly done threading system, and pre-indexing projects and so on… But panels are a requirement… They need to be added… because being limited to one window for your project is hell because the file-tree can easily take up 25 to 50% of a 1920x1080 monitor, then CodeMap can take up 15 to 50% easily ( I’m trying to shave off as much as possible while providing all of the necessary information I need at my fingertips ) and not being able to limit the search / replace thing at the bottom makes stretching the window across multiple monitors impossible and non-usable - if CodeMap and the file-tree could be extended all the way to the bottom, then using multiple monitors for 1 window wouldn’t be that bad but panels would solve all of these issues…

I would switch to Atom but it has the same problems as Notepad++ so it’s slow and so many things were done incorrectly…

This is the current lua.sublime-syntax in user/codemap/custom_languages/ for GMod Lua - a few custom things marked Acecool can be removed along with the _ variables ( Should be everything starting at line 258 AcecoolDev_Framework Namespace

But even if the language is defined, it doesn’t seem to do anything - but again I haven’t looked through the package code to see what is done with it…

0 Likes

Thank you, I will try to find the time to go through your code with the attention it deserves. Though, did you also want to share the mapper?

And the mappers, right now, is a lot of repetitive code… if code_line.startswith: Add it elif re.find … elif blah blah blah…

Agree 100% :slight_smile: And it is exactly why I am reluctant to see any “code parsing” in CodeMap regrdless how good or bad it is. I want to push it completely to the mappers. Even if the parsing is done in some generic and very dev-friendly way. My argument is a pore IoC reasoning.

I would rather have some generic parsing util/module available for mapper creators instead. But it needs to be completely decoupled form the CodeMap codebase, even if they are distributed together. Though, as I said, I do not want to dismiss it completely without giving it a chance.

As for panels, you will not find a bigger supported then me. After creating quite a few plugins for Visual Studio, VSSCode, Notepad++ and ST3 I struggling to see how such a beautifully crafted creature, that ST3 is, can continue dismiss the request for custom panels support so arrogantly.

Is it possible to have the CodeMap in a separate window…

I understand and fully agree your motivation for this feature. I think it makes sense to make this option available. Can you please log the feature request on GitHub: https://github.com/oleg-shilo/sublime-codemap

0 Likes

I’ll probably end up with a 4k monitor so 4 monitors in 1 - and I have 4 more right now ( 5 total 1920 x 1080 ) but with a 4k I may end up with 6 total monitors ( if I end up running them all - with the 4k monitor I may use the 4k, then another monitor above it and maybe one off to the side - or I’ll simply continue using the 750 TI to run 3 monitors and have the 1080 run the 4k monitor… ) with about 9 monitors worth of real-estate so I should be ok. Maybe, later on, I’ll write a plugin to add panels support to ST3 if it is open-source otherwise I’ll have to find a way to inject…

The way I code is with simplicity, no repetition, strongly enforced coding standard, etc… Everything is coded so there is no way to introduce bugs as everything is simplified all the way so you end up with building blocks and each block is tested for all conditions before being released.

As for my mapper, yes I would be fine with it being released with CodeMap and I’m not forcing it on anyone - it’ll be a simple python script base, which if anyone wants to use it they can use my example to see how to use it until I write documentation or modify my wiki generator for Lua to parse it… In short - the mapper will be included into the mapper file, then initialized and the rules set up…

I’m not expecting you to rewrite the back-end to support it which is why it is in the mapper side of things and no one will be forced to use it if they don’t want to…

When it is ready, I’ll post it here.

0 Likes

Here’s a link to my addon for this mod… It makes it better, more organized and easier to create mappings for it… Soon to come, hopefully, automatic additions of rules based on sublime syntax / tm language files, etc…

1 Like

I think I would not attempt to use it until they allow to hide the minimap per view, instead of per window only, because my screen is not too wide and I would like the minimap enabled:

0 Likes

It is possible!

Download my addon… Install CodeMap first, then install XCodeMapper over top…

One of my next updates will address being able to EASILY modify the functions, but for now you can add a callback to the _User class in AppData/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/CodeMap/custom_mappers/.py ( Each mapper from XCodeMapper will have the _User class set as the DEFAULT near the top of the file at the bottom of the configuration ):

##
	## Callback used to alter Code - Map Panel configuration per mapper...
	##
	def OnSetupCodeMapPanel( self, _panel ):
		## Disable Scroll Past End...
		print( ' >> Code - Map Panel >> scroll_pass_end set to False!' )
		_panel.settings( ).set( 'scroll_past_end', False )

## Note: If gutter is set to false, line_numbers and fold_buttons won't appear so it they don't matter if gutter is False..
		_panel.settings( ).set( "gutter", False )
		_panel.settings( ).set( "line_numbers", True )
		_panel.settings( ).set( "fold_buttons", False )

## Do you want to use a smaller font in the CodeMap panel? set it here... For 4k monitors using Source Code Pro font I'd suggest 10.5 if you use 100% api scaling... For 1080p, etc... 10 - 11 is also fine.. although smaller may be suitable too...
		_panel.settings( ).set( "font_size", 8 )

## The actual map WIDE scrollbar system which shows an overview of the code - minimap - trying to find the right now - so far I confirmed you can individually set ( per view ) the drawing of borders, etc.. so the minimap shouldn't be any different.. I just need to find the config value:
		##_panel.settings( ).set( "xxxxxx", False )

##
		## Found it - but it disables it for the entire window.... I'll see if I can come up with a hack... but the best solution would be to persuade them into adding the functionality per panel / view instead of setting it per window...
		##
		_panel.window( ).set_minimap_visible( False )

Basically - _panel is the “Code - Map” View / Panel… You can call settings on it to alter the behavior WITHOUT affecting your other view… Meaning if you know what the minimap is ( possible just “minimap” ) then you can hide it without hiding it on your other view…

I had to create this functionality in order to disable scroll past end for code map but not my normal files because the code-map sync feature can sometimes scroll you to the bottom… I’m working on a solution for that, but for now this is useful…

I will be adding CFG_ options to each mapper to let you choose what to show / hide ( at least until I can figure out why my config.sublime-settings files aren’t being loaded when they have unique names and are in the root directory, ie easy to find )… For now you can add the callback and edit the settings as you want them to be!

0 Likes

Please see my previous post … If you install XCodeMapper I have several different views ( check out the screenshots ) which are tailored for YOU…

In short - When outputting code, by default I use the mathematical sign for function: ƒ and I add this sign to several of the languages ( Python, PHP, GMod Lua and possibly a few others - check my repo ) which means less data to show…

There is also a data-type / arg system replacer which lets you define ( if you follow a coding standard, something I highly recommend ) arguments to replace with their data-types so you can replace _ply or _player with ,

or something shorter / longer and with or without < >s… Or you can shorten the args using the OnFunction/ClassArgument callback by simply returning a different string ( you can automate it by truncating the text, etc… )

There are a lot of other callbacks which lets you customize what you see and how you see it…

The screenshots I’m referred to, though, are the ones which changes how classes and children are displayed… By default, with Lua they’re displayed using the table.index.subindex.FuncNameAsAnotherIndex = function or function …( )… However I’ve added a mode where you can display it in parts - so instead of seeing the full-length for Lua ( Or Python ) you see a category named: table.index.subindex with FuncNameAsAnotherIndex as an entry with the args… For Python I extend it even further so you have the option to display it like Lua with only DirectParent.FuncName( args ) or Full.Path.To.DirectParent.FuncName( args ) OR DirectParent as the category name, and FuncName as an entry…

Take a look at my modification… It may be what you’re looking for. If it isn’t - let me know what you want and I’ll likely add it in…

Oh, you can also adjust the indent size ( I have it set to 4 spaces - you can just as easily use 1 tab, 10 tabs, 1 space, 2 spaces, etc… set it to what you want ) to save a few extra chars…

0 Likes

Updated:

##
		## Found it - but it disables it for the entire window.... I'll see if I can come up with a hack... but the best solution would be to persuade them into adding the functionality per panel / view instead of setting it per window...
		##
		_panel.window( ).set_minimap_visible( False )
0 Likes